Were you recently hit by a car or injured as a pedestrian in Aiken, South Carolina? You may have the right to recover compensation from a negligent motorist or another responsible party. The experienced Aiken pedestrian accident lawyers at Hawk Law Group can help you maximize your financial recovery.
For decades, our top-rated South Carolina trial attorneys have been advocating for injured pedestrians and families in Aiken and across the state. We put 71+ years of combined experience behind every case, helping clients achieve life-changing results. We’ve won millions in settlements and verdicts, and now it’s your turn to have us help you fight for the compensation you deserve, too.
Table of Contents
How Hawk Law Group Can Help After a Pedestrian Accident in Aiken, SC
You know that your pedestrian accident happened because someone else was negligent, but how do you prove it? What happens if an insurance company or at-fault party refuses to accept responsibility? What if they try to blame you?
These – and other – issues will be front and center in a pedestrian accident case. Don’t try to handle it on your own, especially while you’re trying to recover from severe and catastrophic injuries. Turn to our trusted Aiken personal injury lawyers for help.
We understand how much is riding on your personal injury case, and we’re here to help you achieve the best possible outcome.
While you have time to focus on moving forward and putting the pieces of your life back together, our Aiken personal injury attorneys will:
- Investigate your accident to uncover why it happened and who’s on the hook for your damages
- Gather evidence that can be used to support a personal injury claim or lawsuit
- Seek damages from all liable parties
- Counter allegations that you share responsibility for your pedestrian accident
- Negotiate with the insurer and other parties on your behalf
- File a lawsuit and bring your case to a jury in Aiken County if you’re not offered a fair settlement
Hawk Law Group works on contingency, so there’s no cost to hire our law firm unless we win your case.
Our lawyers have received recognition as “Super Lawyers”, “Rising Stars” and “Top Lawyers”, among other top legal directories such as Justia, and more.
Contact us to get started. Your first consultation is free, and a member of our supportive staff is always available to take your call.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in Aiken?
According to pedestrian accident statistics provided by the South Carolina Department of Public Safety, there were 1,038 pedestrian accidents reported across the state in 2020.
- 201 pedestrian accidents were fatal
- 213 pedestrians were seriously injured
- 598 pedestrians sustained moderate or minor injuries
That’s an average of 2 to 3 pedestrian accidents every single day and a fatal pedestrian accident every 1.9 days.
That’s enough to rank South Carolina as one of the most dangerous states for pedestrians. In fact, a recent study found that South Carolina ranked fourth deadliest for pedestrians in the nation.
What Compensation Can Be Awarded In a Pedestrian Accident Claim?
Economic damages offset the financial burdens of your Pedestrian accident, such as:
- Medical transport to the hospital
- Ongoing medical treatment
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Property damage
- Lost wages and income
- Lost job benefits and opportunities
- Nursing assistance
On the other hand, non-economic damages are paid to make up for the trauma you experience because of your pedestrian accident.
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
A jury in Aiken County may also decide that punitive damages are appropriate if you were hurt intentionally or because someone displayed a conscious disregard for your safety.
Hawk Law Group will actively seek all compensation that is available to you under South Carolina state law.
What Is My Aiken Pedestrian Accident Case Worth?
Many factors will be instrumental in the personal injury claims valuation process.
- What injuries you’ve suffered
- How those injuries have affected your day-to-day life
- You’re earning capacity before and after getting hurt
- Your age
- Shared responsibility
- The emotional and psychological impact of your pedestrian accident
- Whether the accident aggravated pre-existing medical condition
You can get a better sense of how much money you might be able to recover after a pedestrian accident by reaching out to our top-rated personal injury attorneys near you in Aiken, South Carolina. We are always available to take your call and arrange a time for a free consultation.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Aiken Pedestrian Accidents?
Pedestrian accidents, for the most part, shouldn’t happen. Whether you’re driving a car or walking down the sidewalk in Aiken, you share a duty of care to yourself and others on the road. This means obeying traffic signals, respecting state and local traffic laws, and generally conducting yourself in a reasonable manner.
Pedestrian accidents happen – and pedestrians get hurt – when someone is careless, makes a mistake, or is otherwise negligent.
Leading causes of pedestrian accidents in Aiken, SC, include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Drowsy driving
- Rolling stops
- Failing to yield the right of way to a pedestrian in a crosswalk
- Miscalculating the amount of time a motorist has to turn
- Speeding through an intersection to beat a red or yellow traffic light
- Vehicle malfunctions due to negligent maintenance
- Limit invisibility
- Bad weather
- Road construction
- Ignoring pedestrian traffic safety signals
- Broken sidewalks and road defects
Our pedestrian accident attorneys in Aiken will carefully evaluate the circumstances of your case. We will work to identify every potential cause so that we can determine who’s at fault and financially responsible for your injuries.
Who’s Liable If I’m Injured as a Pedestrian in Aiken?
In South Carolina, liability is shared by anyone who contributes to a pedestrian accident.
Depending on the specific circumstances of your case, potentially liable parties might include:
- Negligent driver
- Another pedestrian
- Bus driver or bus company
- Government agency
- Property owner
- Employer of a negligent party
Victims can share responsibility for their pedestrian accident injuries, too. South Carolina has a modified comparative salt rule with a 51 percent bar to recovery. Damages are reduced based on your share of the blame up to 50 percent. Once liability exceeds 50 percent, you lose the ability to recover compensation.
Negligent motorists and insurance companies will do anything to deny your claim or limit their financial responsibility to you. That can go as far as trying to shift blame in your direction. They will hope that these tactics scare you away from pushing for a better deal or make you walk away with nothing at all.
Our South Carolina pedestrian accident attorneys will be ready to challenge these efforts at every turn. We will work to minimize how much, if any, fault is assigned to you. The less liability you share, the more money you can recover when your case is resolved.
How Much Time Will I Have to File a Lawsuit if I’m Hit By a Car in Aiken, South Carolina?
South Carolina operates under a three-year statute of limitations for most personal injury cases. This will give you until the second anniversary of your pedestrian accident to file a claim for damages.
It is important to take prompt action after you get hurt. Not only can this help to preserve your legal claim, but also ensure that important pieces of evidence are secured by your attorney. Get a jumpstart on your fight for compensation by contacting Hawk Law Group as soon as you can after your pedestrian accident.
Seeking Compensation for All of Your Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Whether you’ve been struck by a car or clipped by a bicycle as a pedestrian in Aiken, the resulting injuries can be catastrophic.
Hawk Law Group is here to help you seek damages for your:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Neck injury
- Back injury
- Burn injury
- Broken bones
- Crushing injury
- Internal organ damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Wrongful death of a family member after a fatal pedestrian accident in Aiken, South Carolina
Seek medical attention at the nearest hospital in Aiken County, and then don’t hesitate to reach out to our law office to discuss your legal rights and options.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Aiken Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near You
Are you struggling with painful physical injuries and emotional distress because you were recently hit by a car in Aiken, South Carolina? Hawk Law Group can help. Our Aiken pedestrian accident lawyers have over 71 years of combined experience fighting for clients like you.
We know the stakes are high and are ready to do everything in our power to get you the results you deserve.
Contact our law offices in Aiken County, SC, to learn more. Your first consultation is free, so give us a call today.
Our Aiken, SC personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Burn Injury Lawyer in Aiken, SC
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Product Liability Attorney in Aiken, SC
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Uber Accident Attorney in Aiken, SC
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Aiken, SC
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Aiken, SC