If you were hurt in a taxi accident in Augusta, Georgia, you could be entitled to compensation from the at-fault party for your medical bills, pain, and lost wages. However, you’ll need an experienced car accident lawyer to get the compensation you deserve.
The Augusta taxi accident lawyers at Hawk Law Group are here to offer assistance. We have over 71 years of combined experience and have acquired tens of millions of dollars for our clients over the years. We know how to hold at-fault parties accountable for their negligent actions, and we’re prepared to put our skills to work for you.
Table of Contents
How Can Hawk Law Group Help After a Taxi Accident in Augusta, GA?
Although rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are popular ways to get around, some people still prefer to take taxis to their destinations. And while taxi drivers have a duty to drive carefully and keep their riders safe, accidents can happen.
Whether the taxi driver, another motorist, or someone else caused the collision, the Augusta car accident lawyers at Hawk Law Group are here to help. We’ll put our 71+ years of collective experience to work for you while you focus on recovering.
If you hire our personal injury attorneys for help with your taxi accident case, we’ll:
- Investigate the cause of your taxi accident and who may share responsibility
- Gather evidence, including surveillance footage and eyewitness statements, proving the elements of your case
- Consult leading experts if necessary to prove the full extent of your damages
- Negotiate with insurance companies and other opponents on your behalf as we work towards a favorable settlement
- Argue your case in Richmond County court if the opposing parties fail to negotiate in good faith
We’re available 24/7 to take your call and listen to what happened. Contact our law firm to discuss filing a personal injury claim for damages. The sooner we get started, the stronger your case will be.
What Causes Most Taxi Crashes in Augusta, GA?
The Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) regulates taxi cab drivers who are employed by a taxi company and have for-hire license endorsements. To qualify for these endorsements, drivers must submit an application, fee, and letter of employment and pass a criminal background check.
Even if a driver doesn’t have the for-hire driver endorsement, they must obtain a private background check certification through their employer and follow other procedures outlined by the taxi service.
However, even with these precautions, taxi drivers don’t always drive safely. They’re often in a hurry so they can pick up more fares. They may be distracted looking for passengers.
Accordingly, some common causes of taxi accidents in Augusta include:
- Distracted driving
- Aggressive driving
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Improper or illegal lane changes
- Stopping in dangerous places to pick up or drop off passengers
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Dangerous or illegal turns
- Unqualified or inexperienced drivers
- Negligent hiring practices
- Poorly maintained taxi cabs
- Road defects
- Taxi cab defects
- Adverse weather conditions
Many other factors could contribute to taxi accidents in Augusta, GA. We’ll help you identify the cause of your taxi cab crash so that we can pursue compensation from the liable parties.
Who Is Liable for My Injuries After a Taxi Accident in Georgia?
The liable party (or parties) will depend on the facts of your case. If the taxi driver was responsible and is classified as an employee, their employer could be vicariously liable for your injuries. However, the taxi driver may be liable if they’re classified as an independent contractor.
We’ll examine your accident and the parties involved to identify who is responsible.
The following parties could be at fault for a taxi cab collision:
- The cab driver
- The taxi service company
- Third-party motorists, pedestrians, or bicyclists
- A taxi maintenance company
- A taxi mechanic
- A manufacturer of a defective component
- A government agency
Multiple parties could share liability, which can make your case even more complex. It’s important to enlist the help of an experienced Augusta taxi accident attorney to ensure you get the maximum compensation available in your case.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Taxi Accident in Augusta?
Once we determine who could be liable for your injuries, we must prove it. Most car accident cases – including those involving taxis – are based on negligence.
In a negligence case, the plaintiff must prove the following elements:
- Duty of care: Taxi drivers and companies are common carriers, meaning they have a heightened duty of care to their passengers and must use “extraordinary diligence” to avoid causing harm to others
- Breach of duty: If the defendant in any way deviated from their standard of care, they likely breached it
- Causation: The breach must have directly caused you harm
- Damages: You must have sustained damages (e.g., injuries, pain and suffering, etc.)
To prove each of these elements, we’ll help you gather evidence, which may include medical records, police reports, eyewitness statements, photos, videos, and more.
How Much Is My Augusta Taxi Accident Claim Worth?
The value of your taxi accident claim will depend on many different factors. Typically, the more severe your injuries, the more your claim is worth.
The following elements can impact the value of your claim:
- The severity of your injuries and how they affect your quality of life
- Whether your injuries affect your future earning capacity
- The medical costs, lost wages, and out-of-pocket costs you’ve incurred
- The pain, suffering, mental anguish, inconvenience, and other non-economic damages you’ve sustained
- Whether you’ll have permanent impairments or disabilities
- The availability of insurance coverage in your case (e.g., commercial insurance policies vs. personal)
- The parties involved in the case (e.g., taxi services, taxi driver, or other motorists)
- Whether you share fault for causing the taxi accident
Other factors may affect the value of your taxi cab accident case. We’ll review the facts and help you calculate what it may be worth.
What Compensation Is Available After a Taxi Accident in Augusta, GA?
Taxi accident victims in Augusta can seek economic and non-economic damages from the at-fault party.
Economic damages are the monetary losses you experience due to the taxi cab wreck, including:
- Medical expenses
- Future healthcare costs, including in-home nursing care, physical therapy, etc.
- Lost wages if you missed work
- Diminished earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage
Non-economic damages are the losses you experience that are hard to value and personal to you, including:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional pain
- Physical impairment
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
These losses – particularly non-economic damages – can be difficult to value. Our experienced personal injury lawyers in Augusta know how to seek the compensation you deserve. Contact us for help.
We’ll Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Taxi Accident Injuries
Taxi accidents can cause debilitating injuries, just as any other motor vehicle accident can.
We’ve helped injured victims who have suffered all types of injuries, including:
- Fractured and broken bones
- Back injuries
- Chest injuries
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Crushing injuries
- Facial and eye injuries
- Nerve damage
- Paralysis, spinal cord injuries, and other catastrophic injuries
If you were injured, be sure to seek medical attention immediately after the collision. This will create a causal link between the taxi accident and your injuries. As soon as you’re able, contact our taxi accident lawyers in Augusta to discuss your injuries and the compensation you can recover for them.
How Long Do I Have To File a Taxi Accident Lawsuit in Georgia?
Georgia law sets a statutory deadline – known as the statute of limitations – by which accident victims must file personal injury lawsuits. If you were injured in a taxi accident in Georgia, you only have two years from the collision date to file your case. If a loved one was killed in a taxi crash, you have two years from their date of death to file a wrongful death claim.
If you miss the deadline, you’ll forfeit your right to compensation. That’s why it’s crucial to contact a car accident attorney in Augusta as soon as possible after a collision involving a taxi. These cases may take more time to investigate and prove than a typical auto accident claim, and evidence can be lost. Call today to learn more.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Augusta Taxi Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one were injured in an Augusta taxi accident, you may face an uphill battle seeking the compensation you need – especially if you’re dealing with a taxi company.
Contact Hawk Law Group for a free consultation today with an experienced Augusta taxi accident lawyer. We’ll offer honest legal advice, explain your options, and protect your rights throughout the process. Call to see how we can help you after an accident involving a taxi.
Areas We Serve in Augusta, GA
We serve clients in Augusta, North Augusta, Downtown Augusta, Medical District, Forest Hills, Summerville, Murray Hill, Harrisburg, West End, Hammond’s Ferry, Harrisburg, Bethlehem, Glendale, Turpin Hill, South Turpin Hill, May Park, Sand Hills, and its surrounding areas.
We also handle injury cases throughout Georgia and South Carolina.