Hawk Law Group | November 15, 2023 | Slip and Fall
When considering the merits of a slip and fall accident case, an honest evaluation must account for several factors. Slips and falls may seem simple, but they can be quite complex under the law. Our Augusta personal injury lawyers know how to assess and calculate your chance of success.
Understanding Slip and Fall Accidents
A slip and fall accident occurs when a person trips, slips, or falls due to a dangerous or hazardous condition on someone else’s property. Common causes of slips and falls include wet floors, uneven sidewalks, poorly lit walkways, or uncleared obstacles.
Proving a Slip and Fall Accident Case in Augusta, Georgia
Property owners in Georgia are legally obligated to keep their property safe for visitors. For example, owners must do regular maintenance, clean up spills, and give warnings about potential hazards.
Under Georgia’s premises liability laws, a victim of a slip and fall accident must typically prove the following to establish a claim:
- The presence of a hazardous condition: You must show that a dangerous condition existed on the property.
- Knowledge by the property owner: You must show that the property owner knew or should have reasonably known about the condition.
- Neglect to address the hazard: You must show that the property owner failed to take appropriate action to remedy the condition or warn visitors about the risk.
- Direct causation: You must show that the dangerous condition directly caused the accident and your injuries.
- Damages: You must show that you suffered actual damages. This can include medical expenses, lost wages, or pain and suffering as a result of the accident.
Our lawyers will help you prove these elements in your case.
How We Evaluate Slip and Fall Cases in Augusta, GA
Every slip and fall case begins with an evaluation. Our Augusta slip and fall lawyers offer free initial consultations.
During an evaluation, we will be thinking about the following:
- Evidence of the hazard and causation: Our lawyers will look for evidence of the hazard. This includes photos of the scene, eyewitnesses, or maintenance records. We want to determine whether the incident occurred from an obvious hazard, such as a wet floor without signage, or other conditions.
- The property owner’s knowledge: A key question is whether the owner knew or should have known about the hazard. Our lawyers will try to determine whether it existed or occurred suddenly.
- Comparative fault: Georgia operates under a modified comparative negligence rule. If you are under 50 percent responsible for your injuries, you may still recover damages. However, they will be reduced by your percentage of fault. Our slip and fall lawyers will evaluate your case to determine whether any of your actions contributed to your injuries.
- Damages: Our lawyers will evaluate damages incurred from your slip and fall. This includes medical reports, bills, lost income, and other financial and personal impacts.
- Statute of limitations: The statute of limitations for personal injury cases is generally two years in Georgia. Our lawyers will review your case to make sure a lawsuit is filed before this deadline passes, if necessary.
Our team will pay special attention to these factors while evaluating your case.
The Role of an Augusta Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
An experienced slip and fall lawyer will thoroughly investigate your case. This will allow them to provide an honest evaluation.
A lawyer can help you navigate a slip and fall case by:
- Gathering and analyzing evidence
- Consulting medical experts to assess the extent of your injuries
- Navigating the complexities of Georgia laws
- Estimating the value of your case based on the evidence and past cases
- Negotiating with insurance companies or representing you in court if necessary
Every slip and fall accident claim is unique. Each case must be evaluated on its own merits. Consulting an Augusta slip and fall accident attorney can help you understand the intricacies of your case and the applicable laws.
An honest evaluation by our team will help you determine the viability of your case. We will also empower you with a path toward the compensation you deserve. If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall, schedule a free evaluation today.
Contact the Personal Injury Lawyers In the Central Savannah River Area at Hawk Law Group for Legal Assistance Today
For more information, please contact the personal injury lawyers at Hawk Law Group at our nearest location to schedule a free consultation today.
We serve throughout the Central Savannah River Area and its surrounding areas:
We also serve in Edgefield County, SC.