Have you or someone you love been seriously injured in a bicycle accident in Augusta, GA? If a negligent driver caused your crash, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical costs, lost earnings, pain, and more.
Hawk Law Group has represented injured cyclists and families in Augusta-Richmond County for more than 30 years. We have recovered life-changing settlements and verdicts for our clients; we will fight to do the same for you.
Table of Contents
How Hawk Law Group Can Help You After a Bicycle Accident in Augusta, GA
The insurance company is not on your side after a serious accident in Augusta, Georgia. They may blame you for your crash, minimize the seriousness of your injuries, and pressure you to accept lowball settlement offers. You deserve an Augusta personal injury lawyer prepared to fight back.
Hawk Law Group was founded by Vic Hawk, known for his live call-in TV show, LawCall. Hawk has recovered numerous high-value verdicts and settlements for his clients, including the largest personal injury verdict ever in Jenkins County. Our firm is not afraid to take your case to court to protect your right to compensation.
Here is how Hawk Law Group can help you:
- Give you sound legal advice
- Evaluate the full extent of your damages
- Conduct a thorough investigation of your accident with the help of experts
- Build the strongest negligence case possible, with hard evidence and expert testimony
- Negotiate on your behalf to seek a fair settlement offer
- Present a compelling case to the jury if negotiations fail
Hawk Law Group has decades of experience at the negotiation table and in the courtroom. Call our law firm today to schedule a free consultation with an Augusta bike accident lawyer committed to fighting for your best interests.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in Georgia?
Bicycle accidents are on the rise across the United States, particularly in metro areas. A growing number of people are choosing to cycle for recreation or commuting to work.
A 2012 NHTSA study estimated that 3% of people who had ridden a bicycle in the last two years had been in an accident requiring medical care.
Between 2005 and 2015, there were 5,834 vehicle-bicycle accidents in Georgia that caused 4,482 injuries and 63 deaths.
There have been numerous high-profile bicycle accidents in Augusta in recent years that have caused fatalities or life-changing injuries. In 2021, an Augusta University nurse was left with life-threatening injuries after he was hit riding his bicycle to work.
What is My Augusta Bicycle Accident Case Worth?
All accident cases are unique and must be evaluated individually.
There are dozens of factors that influence how much your injury case is worth, including:
- The severity of your injuries
- The long term impact of your accident on your health and ability to work
- The amount of insurance coverage available to pay for your claim
- The total economic losses you incurred
- Whether you share blame or failed to mitigate your damages
Contact Hawk Law Group today for a free initial consultation with an Augusta bicycle accident attorney. We will help you understand what your case may be worth and how we can help you pursue compensation.
What Damages Can Bicycle Accident Victims Recover in Augusta, Georgia?
Georgia law allows you to recover compensatory damages when someone else injures you due to negligence.
Compensatory damages are divided into two categories:
You may be entitled to financial compensation for:
- Current and future medical bills related to your accident
- Lost wages and income
- Other financial damages like home modifications, medical devices, and domestic services
- Personal damages, including pain, suffering, mental and emotional anguish and distress, disfigurement, and reduced quality of life
Rare cases are eligible for punitive damages. Punitive damages punish a party for gross negligence or intentional misconduct. They may be available for bicycle accidents involving a drunk driver.
Can I Still Recover Compensation if I’m Partially at Fault for a Bicycle Accident in Georgia?
It’s very common for both parties in an accident to share blame for the event. Georgia follows a modified comparative negligence doctrine. Under this doctrine, the court will assign a percentage of fault to all parties in the crash.
You can still recover compensation even if you were partially at fault for the crash. However, you are barred from recovering compensation if you were 50% or more at fault.
If you were between 1% and 49% at fault, your recovery will be reduced according to your share of fault. For instance, if you suffered $50,000 in damages but are 10% at fault, your recovery will be reduced to 45,000 (90%).
Insurance companies use this rule to their advantage. They may try to shift as much blame as possible to you to reduce their liability. This is why it’s crucial to consult with a lawyer if you are being blamed for your crash.
We Will Fight to Recover Compensation for All Your Bicycle Accident Injuries
Seventy-seven percent of all vehicle-bicycle accidents in Georgia result in injury to the cyclist.
At Hawk Law Group, we recognize the very real impact your accident has had on your life. You may be facing a long and painful recovery, invasive medical treatment, and even ongoing medical needs.
We are committed to seeking the fair compensation you deserve for your injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Soft tissue injuries like road rash and lacerations
- Broken bones, including skull, rib, arm, leg, and wrist fractures
- Nerve damage
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Joint injuries
- Dental injuries
Do not allow the insurance company to minimize the impact of your crash or the severity of your injuries. Call Hawk Law Group for an advocate who will fight for you.
What Causes Most Bicycle Accidents in Augusta?
Most bicycle accidents are due to human error or negligence. Both drivers and cyclists can be negligent and cause an accident.
The following are some of the most common causes of bike accidents in Augusta:
- Not looking for bicycles before a right turn
- “Dooring,” or opening a car door without looking for oncoming cyclists
- Inattentive driving or cycling
- Distracted cycling or driving
- Drunk driving
- Dangerous left-hand turns
- Ignoring traffic signals or stop signs
- Cycling at night without reflective gear or lights
- Dangerous road conditions, the cause of 13% of bicycle accidents.
Sadly, many accidents involving cyclists happen when the motorist simply fails to see a bicycle. This may be due to road features, blind spots, or inattentional blindness. When a driver sees a cyclist but doesn’t register their presence and hits them, it’s known as a looked-but-failed-to-see (LBFTS) accident.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Bicycle Accident in Augusta, GA?
You must prove negligence to recover compensation for your injuries. Negligence simply means that the defendant did not do what a reasonable person would have done in the events leading up to your accident.
There are four key elements of negligence.
- The defendant owed you a duty of care.
- The defendant breached their duty.
- There is a causal link between the defendant’s breach of duty and your injuries.
- You suffered actual damages.
The first element is typically easy to establish; all motorists and cyclists owe other road users a duty to follow the rules of the road and exercise caution. They breach that duty by violating traffic laws and driving dangerously.
To prove negligence, our Augusta personal injury lawyers may use many forms of evidence, such as:
- accident reports,
- dash cam or traffic cam footage,
- witness statements, cell phone records,
- photos of the accident scene and damage,
- and your medical records.
We may also consult experts to prove how the defendant is at fault for the accident.
How Long Do I Have to File an Injury Lawsuit After a Bicycle Accident in Georgia?
The Georgia statute of limitations for a personal injury lawsuit is just two years in most cases. This same deadline applies to wrongful death claims. If you do not file your accident claim before this deadline passes, you cannot recover compensation.
You may have more or less time to file your lawsuit, depending on the circumstances of your case. It’s crucial to consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible to preserve your claim and begin gathering evidence.
Call Hawk Law Group to schedule an initial consultation to discuss your case. We can get to work while you focus on your recovery.
Contact an Augusta Bicycle Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Have you been seriously hurt in a cycling accident in Augusta, GA? Do not let an insurance company mistreat you or undervalue your case. Hawk Law Group will give you the dedicated legal representation you deserve.
Contact our law office for a free case review with a compassionate Augusta bicycle accident lawyer. We work on a contingency fee basis so there are no out-of-pocket costs to get the legal help you need.
Our Augusta, GA personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Augusta, GA Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
- Product Liability Attorney in Augusta, GA
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Augusta, GA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Augusta, GA
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Augusta, GA
- Child Injury Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- DUI Accident Lawyer in Augusta, GA
- Uber Accident Attorney in Augusta, GA
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Augusta, GA