Have you been in a pedestrian accident in Augusta, GA? Pedestrians frequently suffer severe and life-altering injuries in a traffic accident. You deserve sound legal representation to help you pursue fair compensation for your pain and suffering, medical costs, and more.
Hawk Law Group has represented victims and their families in pedestrian accident cases and other personal injury cases like bicycle accidents, car accidents, Augusta motorcycle accidents, bus accidents and more for over 30 years, recovering millions of dollars in the process. Contact our law firm in Augusta so we can fight for a life-changing settlement or verdict for you and your family. Call us at (706) 722-3500 today!
Table of Contents
How Hawk Law Group Can Help After a Pedestrian Accident in Augusta, GA
Pedestrian accidents often trigger big insurance payouts. The more your case is worth and the more serious your injuries, the more the insurance company invests in fighting your claim. You need an Augusta personal injury lawyer to level the playing field and be your advocate for fair compensation.
Hawk Law Group was founded by Victor C. Hawk, a champion member of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association and a host of the call-in TV show LawCall. An accomplished trial lawyer, Hawk has recovered life-changing settlements and verdicts for his clients.
- Provide legal advice and guidance at every step of your case
- Investigate your accident to gather evidence
- Work with experts to strengthen your case
- Calculate the value of your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance company for full injury compensation
- Take your case before a jury if the insurance company refuses a fair offer
Contact Hawk Law Group today to schedule your free consultation. We work on a contingency fee basis. That means you pay no attorney’s fees unless we win your case.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in Georgia?
Pedestrian accidents involving motor vehicles are on the rise nationwide. Between 2010 and 2019, pedestrian fatalities increased 46%, while other traffic deaths rose only 5%.
In Georgia, pedestrian accidents increased 14% from 2019 to 2020, despite lower traffic volume due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Georgia had 273 pedestrian fatalities last year.
What is My Pedestrian Accident Case Worth?
There is no calculator or formula that can tell you what your case may be worth. A personal injury lawyer must evaluate your claim to estimate its value.
An experienced Augusta personal injury attorney will consider many factors to determine your claim’s value, including:
- The nature of your accident
- The severity of your injuries
- Your current and projected financial losses,
- The impact of your injury on your life, ability to work, and well-being are considered
- And more
Certain factors can increase or decrease the value of your case. This includes any shared fault on your part, the amount of insurance coverage available, and the strength of your evidence.
Contact Hawk Law Group today to schedule a free initial consultation with an Augusta pedestrian accident lawyer. We will help you understand the potential value of your claim.
What Compensation is Available to Injured Pedestrians?
Injured pedestrians are entitled to compensatory damages in a successful personal injury case. Compensatory damages are divided into two categories.
Economic damages include the financial costs of your accident:
- Medical bills, both current and future
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity or disability
- Property damage
- Other financial costs, such as household services, home modifications, counseling, childcare, and more
You may also recover non-economic damages. These damages refer to the non-monetary losses you’ve suffered after the accident, including emotional distress, pain, suffering, anguish, inconvenience, and reduced enjoyment of life.
If your case goes before a jury, they may award punitive damages. These damages are designed to punish the defendant for gross negligence. You might be entitled to punitive damages if you were hurt by a hit-and-run driver or drunk driver.
Can I Still Recover Compensation if I’m Being Blamed for My Pedestrian Accident in Augusta, Georgia?
Georgia uses a modified comparative negligence rule with a 50% bar. You are still entitled to recover damages even if you contributed to your accident. However, you are barred from recovering anything if you are 50% or more to blame.
If you are less than 50% responsible for your accident, your damages will be reduced by your share of liability. Insurance companies routinely use this legal doctrine to their advantage. If they can shift enough blame to you, they can escape all financial liability for your accident.
If you are being blamed for your accident, contact Hawk Law Group right away. We will fight back against the insurance company’s tactics and build the strongest evidence-based case possible.
We Fight for the Full Compensation You Deserve for Your Pedestrian Accident Injuries
We represent clients who have suffered:
- Catastrophic injuries
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Soft tissue injuries, including lacerations
- Nerve damage
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Joint injuries
- Dental injuries
- Facial injuries
- Organ damage
Call Hawk Law Group to help you fight for the compensation you deserve. We will not let the insurance company minimize your injuries or undervalue your claim.
What Causes Pedestrian Accidents in Augusta, GA?
Most vehicle-pedestrian crashes in Georgia happen between 6 pm and 9 pm on local roads outside of intersections. Both pedestrians and drivers may ultimately be at fault for an accident.
Common factors in pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Drugged or drunk driving
- Inattentive left-hand turns
- Inattention while backing up
- Disregarding traffic signals and stop signs
Pedestrians may also cause or contribute to a traffic accident. Pedestrians may share blame in an accident for:
- Improperly crossing an intersection or road
- Wearing dark clothing without reflectors and crossing at night
- Darting into the road
- Inattention while crossing
- Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Georgia law requires drivers to “stop and wait” at crosswalks. This means drivers must wait for a pedestrian to cross the street before proceeding through the crosswalk. Cutting off pedestrians is illegal.
Pedestrians who are crossing outside a crosswalk have a legal duty to yield the right-of-way to motorists. Pedestrians are not permitted to cross outside marked crosswalks on roads with adjacent intersections that have traffic lights.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Pedestrian Accident in Georgia?
Recovering financial compensation after your accident requires proving negligence.
A negligence-based injury case requires proving these four elements:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care. Motorists have a duty to other people on the road to drive with reasonable care and obey traffic laws.
- The defendant breached the duty of care. They may have breached by driving distracted, speeding, or running a red light.
- The breach caused your accident. Causation is usually the hardest element of negligence to prove. You must show the defendant’s behavior caused your accident.
- You suffered damages.
Our Augusta pedestrian accident attorneys will gather evidence from many sources to build a strong negligence case. This may include witness statements, police reports, traffic citations, footage from traffic and dash cams, and more.
At Hawk Law Group, we often work with leading experts to analyze evidence and submit expert testimony supporting your case.
How Long Do I Have to File an Injury Lawsuit After a Pedestrian Accident in Georgia?
There is a limited amount of time to bring personal injury cases to court. In Georgia, the statute of limitations for a personal injury lawsuit after a traffic accident is two years. The deadline generally begins on the date of your crash.
This deadline is the same for wrongful death claims. If you have a claim against a government entity or employee, you have a deadline of just one year to file your claim.
Don’t make the mistake of waiting too long to pursue compensation. The sooner you contact an Augusta pedestrian accident lawyer, the easier it will be to gather reliable evidence. Contact Hawk Law Group as soon as possible so we can work on your case while you are recovering.
Contact an Augusta Pedestrian Accident Lawyer for a Free Case Review
Did a negligent driver strike you while you were on the sidewalk or crossing the street? Do not let an uncaring insurance company minimize the severity of your injuries.
Hawk Law Group is prepared to fight tirelessly for your rights and pursue the full compensation you deserve. Contact our law firm for a free initial consultation with an Augusta pedestrian accident lawyer to learn how we can help you.
Visit Our Personal Injury Law Office in Augusta, GA
Our Personal Injury law firm in Agusta also provides:
- Bus Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Car Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Catastrophic Injury Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Child Injury Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Electric Scooter Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Premises Liability Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Product Liability Lawyer in Augusta, GA
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Taxi Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Uber Accident Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Augusta, GA