Did you or a loved one suffer a catastrophic injury in Augusta, GA? You may be entitled to a significant financial award to cover medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. An experienced Augusta catastrophic injury lawyer at Hawk Law Group can help you fight for the full compensation you deserve.
We’ve been helping accident victims like you for more than 30 years. Our legal team has worked hard and recovered millions of dollars in compensation for clients.
We would be proud to put that experience to work for you. Call our law offices in Augusta, Georgia today at (706) 722-3500 to schedule a free consultation.
How Hawk Law Group Can Help With a Catastrophic Injury Claim in Augusta, GA
Many catastrophic injuries cause unimaginable physical and emotional losses. It can be difficult to know how to pick up the pieces and move on with your life. If someone else caused your injury, they should be held accountable. An experienced Augusta personal injury attorney can help you hold them accountable.
Hiring Hawk Law Group means you’ll have a lawyer to:
- Investigate to determine the cause of your accident and injuries
- Identify all parties who share liability
- Hire top-rated experts to assess the cost of your injuries
- Negotiate with the insurance companies to maximize your financial recovery
Our Augusta personal injury lawyers have recovered some of the highest settlements and verdicts in the area. We have over 30 years of experience helping clients like you get the money they deserve. You can count on us to put that experience to work for you.
Ready to learn more? Call for a free case evaluation to get the legal advice you deserve today.
Overview of Catastrophic Injuries
There’s no universal definition of a “catastrophic injury.” However, one thing is clear. A catastrophic injury will fundamentally change the way you live your life.
In legal terms, a catastrophic injury is one that leaves the victim permanently unable to work. Other definitions focus on the type of injury involved.
Catastrophic injuries may result in:
- A fatality
- Permanent and severe functional disabilities
- Severe head and neck trauma without permanent disability
Catastrophic injuries can require a lifetime of medical treatment, therapies, and rehabilitation. If your life was changed forever in an accident that was someone else’s fault, you deserve to be compensated. Call our Augusta catastrophic injury attorneys at Hawk Law Group to discuss your legal rights today.
Types of Catastrophic Injury
The term “catastrophic injury” can apply to any type of injury that is severe enough to alter your life. Examples of injuries that have the potential to become catastrophic include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Internal organ damage
- Severe burns
- Vision loss
- Hearing loss
- Multiple broken bones
- Chest injuries
These injuries all have the ability to cause permanent damage. We know you may have an uphill battle when it comes to recovery–and, unfortunately, some catastrophic injury victims never make a complete recovery.
Our attorneys are here to help. We’re prepared to do whatever we can to recover the maximum compensation you deserve. We also provide home and hospital visits to make things easier. Just give our law firm a quick call today to learn more.
How Common Are Catastrophic Injuries?
Catastrophic injuries happen much more often than you might think. The CDC estimates that in the U.S., between 80,000 and 90,000 people suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI) that causes long-term disability. More than 20,000 people suffer serious burns that cover at least 25% of their body’s surface.
In Georgia, motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of injury-related deaths. At least 1,540 Georgia residents died from catastrophic injuries caused by traffic accidents in a single year.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Catastrophic Injuries?
Some catastrophic injuries are obvious right away. However, the signs and symptoms of a serious injury will depend on the type of injury involved.
If you were involved in an accident, you should seek medical attention before you do anything else. A qualified doctor can evaluate your condition and take steps to prevent any injury from becoming worse.
Brain injuries aren’t always easy to diagnose. If left untreated, however, the results can be catastrophic.
Some signs that you or your loved one may have suffered a brain injury include:
- Loss of consciousness
- Memory loss and confusion
- Dizziness, nausea, or vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
Brain injuries can lead to both physical and cognitive impairments. The sooner you seek medical attention, the better your chances of recovery will be.
Spinal Cord Damage
Damage to the spinal cord can permanently affect motor function, chronic pain, and other problems.
Some signs that you may have suffered a serious spinal cord injury include:
- Loss of motor function or muscle weakness
- Tingling in the hands and feet
- Difficulty breathing
- Bladder and bowel control issues
- Loss of feeling in the chest, arms, or legs
- Severe pain
Some spinal cord injuries can cause paralysis even if you’re initially able to move your limbs.
What are the Long-Term Consequences of Catastrophic Injuries?
The long-term consequences of a non-fatal catastrophic injury can vary widely. Depending upon the type of injury involved, the consequences may include:
- Painful reconstructive surgeries
- Loss of motor function
- Cognitive defects
- Loss of speech
- Protheses and medical devices
- Lifelong medication needs
- Chronic pain
- Severe depression and anxiety
- Damage to personal relationships
- Loss of career opportunities
- The need for in-home services or care in a long-term care facility
- Home and car modifications
Over the long term, the cost of a catastrophic injury can be overwhelming. Those costs aren’t all financial. Many victims also suffer long-term physical and emotional losses.
What Causes Most Catastrophic Injuries?
Any type of accident can cause catastrophic injuries. Depending on the circumstances, a negligent property owner, at-fault driver, or even the manufacturer of dangerous products could be financially responsible if you were hurt.
At Hawk Law Group, we handle all types of catastrophic injury claims in Augusta, including those caused by:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Construction accidents
- Boating accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Uber, Lyft, and rideshare accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Slip and fall accidents
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
- Assault and sexual assault
If you lost a loved one in an unexpected accident, we can also help you file a wrongful death lawsuit for damages.
What is My Augusta Catastrophic Injury Case Worth?
While it can be difficult to put a dollar value on your injuries, it’s also critical to make sure your settlement or verdict accurately reflects your losses. The last thing you want is to be left on the hook for future expenses that are higher than anticipated.
At Hawk Law Group, our personal injury lawyers in Augusta have been handling complex injury cases for decades. We have relationships with experts and specialists who can offer insight into the more complicated aspects of your personal injury claim. When we assess the value of your claim, we’ll examine all relevant factors, including:
- The cost of your past and anticipated future medical treatment
- How the injury will impact your career, considering the work you did prior to the accident and your skills and education
- How the injury will change your daily life
- The type of assistance you’ll require to complete basic tasks
- Any lasting emotional damage you’ve suffered
Our lawyers will thoroughly investigate to identify all sources of insurance compensation. We’ll then work to demand fair compensation from all responsible parties in your case.
What Compensation Can I Recover for Catastrophic Injuries in Augusta, Georgia?
Under Georgia personal injury laws, catastrophic injury victims can recover economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages cover your past and future financial costs. Examples include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Future medical bills
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy and rehab
- Long-term care
- Medical devices
- In-home assistance
- Property damage
Non-economic damages account for your non-financial suffering. You may be entitled to receive compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Anxiety and depression
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of your independence
- Loss of consortium
Catastrophic injuries are among the most expensive to treat. That’s because most victims will require medical care well into the future. Our lawyers at Hawk Law Group can help you hold the responsible parties accountable. All you have to do is pick up the phone and schedule a free case review with a lawyer who can help.
How Long Do I Have to File a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit in Georgia?
In most personal injury cases, victims have only two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. Once the statute of limitations expires, you’ll also lose your right to compensation.
Contact an Augusta Catastrophic Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you or a family member were seriously injured, you have the right to hold the responsible parties accountable. Call an Augusta catastrophic injury lawyer at Hawk Law Group for help fighting for the maximum compensation you deserve.
Our Augusta, GA personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Augusta, GA Slip, and Fall Accident Lawyers
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Product Liability Attorney in Augusta, GA
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Augusta, GA
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Augusta, GA
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Augusta, GA
- Child Injury Attorneys in Augusta, GA
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Augusta, GA
- DUI Accident Lawyer in Augusta, GA
- Uber Accident Attorney in Augusta, GA
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Augusta, GA