Have you or a loved one been injured in a trucking accident near Aiken, SC? You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. An experienced Aiken truck accident lawyer at Hawk Law Group knows how to help you walk away with the money you deserve.
For over three decades, our skilled legal team has fought to help our clients get the most compensation possible after an accident. We’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars for accident victims in the process.
Table of Contents
How Hawk Law Group Can Help After a Truck Accident in Aiken
We know the stakes are high. We also know that maximizing your financial compensation will be critical for your family. You shouldn’t be responsible for the damage when you didn’t cause the truck accident in the first place.
Our Aiken personal injury lawyers have over 71 years of combined experience handling complex personal injury cases. Hiring Hawk Law Group means that you’ll have a lawyer with decades of experience and resources in your corner.
Our lawyers have received recognition as “Super Lawyers”, “Rising Stars” and “Top Lawyers”, among other top legal directories such as Justia, and more.
Here are some of the reasons you should consider hiring our lawyers:
- We have the resources to conduct a full investigation into the crash
- The insurance companies and truck company will probably try to blame you for causing the accident
- Multiple parties can share the blame–and we know how to locate each one
- We have relationships with respected experts who can strengthen your case
- We’ll handle all the insurance negotiations and communications
Our track record of success includes some of the largest verdicts in the area. Call for a free consultation today to speak with an experienced Aiken personal injury attorney who can support you every step of the way.
How Common Are Truck Accidents in Aiken?
Motor vehicle accidents involving large semi-trucks are common, both in the U.S. and the state of South Carolina.
In 2019, 5,005 large trucks were involved in fatal traffic accidents across the United States. That’s a 43% increase from 2010. Another 118,000 large trucks were involved in accidents that caused injuries.
In South Carolina alone, 120 large trucks were involved in fatal car accidents. According to South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS) research, more than 1,100 tractor-trailers were involved in serious injury collisions in 2019.
At Hawk Law Group, we handle all types of truck accident cases, including those involving:
- Head-on collisions
- Sideswipe crashes
- Underride accidents
- Jackknife accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Rear-end collisions
Large 18-wheelers can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. If you were hurt in a truck accident, you deserve an experienced lawyer to protect your legal rights. We’re here to help you understand your legal options. Just give us a quick call to schedule a free case evaluation today.
What is My Aiken Truck Accident Case Worth?
Recovering fair compensation after a truck wreck can be one of the most important things you do. Before you accept any settlement, you deserve to know how much your personal injury claim is worth.
Factors that can influence the value of your case include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The cost of medical treatment
- Your out-of-pocket expenses and lost income
- Any emotional and physical suffering you’ve endured
Permanent disabilities can significantly diminish your quality of life. You can count on our lawyers in Aiken to fight for the maximum compensation available in your case.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Truck Accident Victims?
Serious injuries are extremely expensive. The cost of your medical care alone can be overwhelming. Under South Carolina personal injury laws, you’re entitled to compensation for your economic losses and non-economic damages.
Examples of your economic damages include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Reduced earning potential
- Property damage
Your non-economic damages award should include compensation for any:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement or scarring
In fatal crash cases, surviving family members may be entitled to sue for wrongful death. Our lawyers can help you recover money for funeral costs, loss of consortium, loss of financial support, and more.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Truck Accident in South Carolina?
Insurance companies often try to blame injured parties for causing the accident. South Carolina’s modified comparative negligence laws won’t always bar you from recovering damages.
Under South Carolina law, you can recover damages if you were less than 51% responsible for the accident. Once your liability is 51% or more, you’ll lose your right to seek damages.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Truck Accident Injuries
When you’re in a passenger car or SUV, you’re no match for a large, heavy truck. Most deaths and serious injuries in large trucking accidents happen to occupants of smaller passenger vehicles. Even with prompt medical care, victims often suffer permanent injuries.
At Hawk Law Group, we’ll fight for full compensation for all of your truck accident injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Crush injuries
- Amputation injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
It’s important to work with an experienced Aiken truck accident attorney to recover full compensation for your losses. Our lawyers will help you fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
What Causes Most Truck Accidents in Aiken, South Carolina?
Truck drivers spend most days on the road. They’re behind the wheel for hours at a time. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) imposes strict rules on truck drivers.
Large truck drivers are required to carry a commercial driver’s license (CDL). They’re also required to obey FMCSA hours-of-service rules and take regular rest breaks. Even with these rules, truck accidents happen regularly in Aiken County and across South Carolina.
Some of the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Violating state and federal safety regulations
- Fatigued driving
- Inexperienced drivers
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Failure to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, bicyclists, and other motorists
- Excessive speeds
- Aggressive driving
- Unsafe passing
- Illegal lane changes
- Dangerous turns
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Failure to properly maintain the vehicle
- Overloading the truck
- Failure to properly load the truck cargo
- Defective vehicles
- Failure to properly screen, train, and supervise truck drivers (negligent hiring)
- Road hazards
Investigating a large truck crash can be expensive and time-consuming. Still, you have to know what caused the accident before you can hold anyone responsible. Our lawyers have decades of experience handling truck accident claims. We’ll go to work quickly so that we can locate the evidence to determine causation in your case.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Truck Accident in South Carolina?
To recover damages, the victim has to prove someone else was responsible for the accident. That can be complicated in truck accident cases.
Many different parties might share liability, including:
- The truck driver
- Trucking companies
- Maintenance companies
- Manufacturers of defective equipment or safety features
- Government agencies
- Companies responsible for hazardous or dangerous truck cargo
- Employers of negligent employees
- Third-party drivers
Most of the time, semi-truck accidents happen because one or more parties were negligent. To prove negligence, you’ll have to establish four separate elements, including:
- A legal duty of care
- Breach of duty
In the simplest terms, you’ll have to show that someone was careless, and you were hurt because of it. To do that, you’ll need evidence.
Our lawyers at Hawk Law Group will work to gather all available evidence in your case, including:
- The vehicle’s black box recording device
- The driver’s hours-of-service logs
- Inspection and maintenance records
- Witness statements
- Video surveillance footage
- Evidence from the crash scene, including information about vehicle locations, skid marks, debris, and more
- Opinions from accident reconstruction specialists
- Any prior history of safety violations
- Police and accident reports
Trucking companies often send investigators to the scene within hours of the crash. That gives them an advantage when it comes to finding valuable evidence. Our lawyers can do the same for you. Just call our law firm to schedule a free consultation today.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Truck Accident in South Carolina?
Every state limits the amount of time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit. This deadline is called the statute of limitations. In South Carolina, truck accident victims have three years from the date of the crash to take legal action. If you wait longer, you’ll forfeit your right to seek compensation.
Contact an Aiken Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Were you or a family member injured in a truck accident? You don’t have to navigate the complex legal system alone. An experienced Aiken truck accident lawyer at Hawk Law Group is standing by to discuss your case. Please contact our legal team to schedule your free initial consultation today.
Our Aiken, SC personal injury law office also provides:
- Car Accident Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Burn Injury Lawyer in Aiken, SC
- Construction Accident Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Product Liability Attorney in Aiken, SC
- Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Uber Accident Attorney in Aiken, SC
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Aiken, SC
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Aiken, SC
- Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in Aiken, SC